Wrong encoding since fresh etch install

        Hi list !

my /etc directory got corrupted few days ago, so I had to reinstall my
Debian system. I choosed to switch from sid to Etch. You must know that
my /home directory was not touched by the corrupt thing (it was on another
partition).

But then, I couldn't see the correct names for directories in my /home.
So I decided to check for the locales set, and they were wrongly pointed to
fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
so I unticked it and choosed
fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
like it was before.

But now I still can't read filenames containing accentued character in
my /home, and it's even worse : I can't even type accentued character with
dead keys (I'm using us_intl keyboard map), all I got is 2 squares
like "??"...

So my questions are :
1. How can I know which encoding were used for those dir ?
2. How can I fix this encoding pb for all my system, taking into account I
_don't_ want to use utf-8 but latin-9 ?

Thx,
Alexandre