Re: GRUB; reboot; next partition selection

Ice wrote:

> Hey, I'm curious if there is a way to easily select the next partition
> (for when Debian comes back up) during a reboot.
> I know that this was a feature of KDE back when I was using SuSE.
>
> I checked the man pages of Shutdown, reboot, halt, etc. and came up with
> nothing so far.  I have also googled for a bit...
>
> Anyone know a way to use "# reboot" and specify the next bootup partition?
> (/dev/hdb1 instead of /dev/hda1)

The first character in /boot/grub/default is the offset from the first
grub menu selection in /boot/grub/menu.lst.  This is the default
boot selection (zero for first, one for second, etc).

You could write a little script or program to change that value after
startup, thus changing the default for next boot.

Be sure you maintain the size of the default file.  Grub cares.