Re: Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 - a beginner's query/request

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 10:19:29PM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Felix Karpfen wrote:
> > This posting is an advance-request to include "update from Debian 3.1"
> > instructions in the proposed release of Debian 4.0.  If existing
> > documentation applies, a relevant URL would suffice.
>
> Just stick this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
>
> and keep running "aptitude update; aptitude upgrade" from time to time --
> when etch will be pronounced stable, you will get your system upgraded
> automagically.

If you want any choice in just *when* the upgrade happend (e.g., not
when an important work assignment is due the next morning), don't do
this.  Keep your sources.list pointing to sarge.  Then change it to
etch only when you are ready to upgrade.

When I do an upgrade, I always keep a complete, working copy of the
system on a separate partition (or set of partitions, if necessary).
Then if something goes wrong during the upgrade, I can still
dual-boot to the old system to get urgent work done.  On one of my
machines, for example, I ran out of disk space halfway through the
upgrade.

Also: when the time comes to do the upgrade, read the upgrade
instructions before you start.  Although in theory a dist-upgrade
should do the trick,  a specific upgrade may require special actions.
For example, the upgrade from woody to sarge required you to upgrade
aptitude before the main dist-upgrade.

-- hendrik