Re: Email programs that work.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 17:39:56 -0600, djhack wrote:
>I have been trying different email programs. None of them seem to let
>me reply to a particular message in the digest. Almost all of the ones
>I tried so far, when you hit the reply button, copies the *entire*
>digest into the compose window instead of only the message you wish to
>reply to. Some of them have nicer features to deal with the messages
>but those programs don't seem to work properly on my box. Let me
>summarize:
>
>Thunderbird - Copies entire message at reply. Works fine on my box.
>
>Balsa - Copies entire message at reply. I have tried the suggested
>"Ctrl L" thing with no luck. Otherwise it works fine on my box. Has
>cool "next part" and "previous part" buttons that cycle through the
>messages one at a time.
>
>Kmail - Configured it, and got test messages in and out then it started
>to complain the POP3 was broken. Never got any messages from the list.
>Could not get it going again.
>
>Evolution - Configured it, and got test messages in and out then it
>would quit the send/receive thing immediately and "time out". Deleted
>the account settings, put them in again and it did the same thing. Any
>combination of Reply buttons also copied the entire digest into the
>compose window. But there was a little "down arrow" icon button on the
>message headers that when clicked would copy just that message. Too bad
>it keeps crashing!
>
>This message was composed in Thunderbird. Those of you list-junkies I
>am sure I am missing some little stupid step, or some configuration. Or
>I would be willing to try other email packages. I really like this list
>and I don't want to break the threads!

First thing you should do is make sure that you receive the digest as a
mail consisting of MIME attachments, one per mail. (From the sounds of
it you already do this.)

Then I suggest you check out mutt, or mutt-ng. It does what you want by
letting you reply to an attachment :-)

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Finagle's Fifth Law:
Always draw your curves, then plot your readings.