faxing

Sorry if this is OT, but faxing has given me fits for years.

I want to receive a fax, via modem on my Debian PC,
edit it in GIMP and fax it back.  Here's what I
think works:

   - use mgetty to receive fax
   - open fax in GIMP (GIMP can read but not write .g3 files)
   - scale image to double vertical dimension for normal (204x98  dpi)
     faxes
   - edit image and save in, say, GIMP's xcf format
   - scale image to halve vertical dimension
   - using ImageMagick "convert" to .g3 format (ImageMagick can read but
     not write GIMP's xcf format
   - use mgetty's "sendfax" to send fax

Is there a better way?  Whenever I google for help I never seem to be
able to find anything but the ImageMagick manual pages which have not
helped me (for years :( ).

Thanks.

Mark