RFC: Well supported scanners under Linux?

Dear people,

I have some photos that I would like to preserve in a digital form and I
thought of using a scanner for this.

Unfortunately, I my knowlegdge about scanners is zero and I have already
visited the sane project page, but could not decide what would be a good
purchase.

So, in light of this, I would like to ask you some recommendations based
on your experiences for scanners that are fully functional under Linux,
from open-source friendly companies.

I am open to recommendations for other devices, like the multifunctional
devices, but I'm not sure if they are adequate and would give me the
best "bang for the buck".

Thanks in advance for any advice, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/