Sabrent SBT-WC3L spca5xx driver

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if any of you can help me out... Tired of Xubuntu Dapper on my PC decided to do a fresh install using the 22 July daily image of Debian Testing for AMD64. Everything has been working well, much better than the former OS :-) Way to go Debian as usual!

My only problem is I bought a new webcam recently, an inexpensive Sabrent SBT-WC3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830194001 I saw that it had support in Linux and didn't want to spend a lot. It worked OK in Xubuntu Dapper... Getting it to work in Debian has been a little more of a challenge. I discovered the device uses a spca5xx driver, so I went into aptitude and installed the kernel module for amd64 2.16.2 generic... tried to install driver in modconf and it didn't work. So I decided to go with the amd64 k8 kernel and the spca5xx module for amd64 k8... rebooted, run modconf and received this message:

Installing module spca5xx. If the device isn't there, or isn't configured correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a minute.

FATAL: Error inserting spca5xx (/lib/modules/2.6.16-2-amd64-k8/kernel/drivers/usb/media/spca5xx.ko): Invalid module format

Installation failed.
Architecture-specific modutils configuration for x86_64 not found, using defaults

Please press ENTER when you are ready to continue.

Is there anyway anyone can help me with getting this module to work? I really don't want to recompile my kernel, I have not had good luck with that in recent years and found that usually I am OK with the stock kernels. If anyone has any advice on this subject I would be very greatful.

Thank you,

John Anderson