Re: how to make colour prompts for pdksh

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 22:59 +0200, LeVA wrote:
> 2006. July 25. 21:20, James Strandboge:
> > So a no frills color prompt without the title might be:
> > PS1='^[[0;32m[$USER@${HOST} ${PWD##*/}]$^[[m '
> >
> Thanks a lot for the reply, I've tried it and it stays the same :\ just
> spits out the characters, and no colours.

$ apt-cache policy pdksh
pdksh:
  Installed: 5.2.14-18
  Candidate: 5.2.14-18
  Version Table:
 *** 5.2.14-18 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org sarge/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

It works fine here.  Two things:

Are you *sure* that the control characters have been entered correctly?
It is not '^' followed by '['.  It must be the single charactor '^['.

Is your profile being sourced correctly?  I have to do this (and only
this) in ~/.profile:
ENV=$HOME/.kshrc; export ENV

and then add whatever to ~/.kshrc.  Try a blank .kshrc except for
setting PS1 (to make sure there are no syntax errors, etc).  I use the
same .profile and .kshrc file on Debian Sarge, Ubuntu Dapper, OpenBSD
and FreeBSD with no problems.

Jamie Strandboge

--
Anemone Computing