Re: how to make colour prompts for pdksh

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 08:32 -0400, James Strandboge wrote:
> It works fine here.  Two things:

Actually, there is one more.  Check your TERM variable.  I use
gnome-terminal, which always sets TERM to 'xterm'.  This is fine for
GNU/Linux boxes, but ssh'ing into OpenBSD requires that TERM be set to
'xterm-color'.  'wsvt25' should be used on OpenBSD for console logins.
May also be needed on FreeBSD, but haven't checked.

So, I did this in in ~/.kshrc:
# hack because gnome-terminal always does 'xterm' and I need 'xterm-xfree86'
if [ "$TERM" == "xterm" ]
then
        export TERM=xterm-xfree86
fi

Again, this is not needed for GNU/Linux boxes, both 'xterm' and
'linux' (for console logins) work fine without the above.  However,
using it doesn't hurt anything, so I set it up that way everywhere.

Jamie Strandboge
--
Anemone Computing
http://www.anemonecomputing.com/