Re: Printing from Acrobat

Carl Fink wrote:
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 01:47:03AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
I'm using Etch, with up-to-date CUPS.  I can print fine from most
applications (e.g. OpenOffice.org, Firefox) but not from Adobe Acrobat
Reader (v7 from the Marillat collection).  In fact, I can print a Social
Security form from xpdf, but not Acrobat.  (Unfortunately xpdf screws up the
margins and cuts off the edges of each page.)

I did a poor job of explaining that.  Acrobat prints normally, and a job is
created in CUPS, but it never actually prints, it just sits in the queue for
my Laserjet 1012.  (I'm using hplip.)  If I print from another program, that
job prints fine but the Acrobat-spawned job is still sitting in the queue.

Printing from Acroread is a pain. In particular it seems to do a really bad job at outodetecting our network printers. It also never seems to remember my previous settings. I've had best results by manually selecting 'custom' (the bottommost printer) and using kprinter as that. Once kprinter's dialog is started I have to 'really' select the settings I need.

If you print to A4, take extra care. Acroread is notorious for ignoring our site-wide settings of A4-paper.

HTH, Johannes

PS: If someone knows a better way, please post!