Re: xserver-xorg crash: "configured mouse"

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 12:33:32 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 7/22/06, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 05:24:10 -0500, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> >> I forgot, this stuck out at me: the first line of the error report
> >> with an error says "xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device
> >> /dev/input/mice"
> >> Seems weird, should it be using anything with the name xf86?
> >
> >That is normal; many references to XFree86 still exist in the names of
> >functions, etc. in Xorg.
> >
> >Try to modprobe the "mousedev" module. Check if /dev/input/mice is
> >created. Restart X to see if it makes any difference.
>
> OK.  #:modprobe mousedev seems to go, but doesn't return anything.
> /dev/input/mice is indeed there.  startx worked a couple of times and
> didn't work a few times, giving me my desktop with no mouse control.
> I also tried Patrick's suggestion of replacing /dev/input/mice with
> /dev/psaux in xorg.conf, and it didn't seem to make a difference.
> Could something as simple as plugging the mouse in a different USB
> port help?  (I'm at work now)

It might even help to just unplug it and plug it into the same port
again. (The USB mouse on my laptop sometimes freezes if I plug a USB
stick into the second USB port. This is always fixable by briefly
unplugging the mouse.)

Also check if the "usbhid" module is loaded, just to be sure.

--
Regards,
          Florian