Re: xserver-xorg crash: "configured mouse"

Yay, I figured it out.  I had installed usbmount, which installed udev
and uninstalled hotplug.  This was one of the last things I did in
xwindows.  Just now I noticed that, among other errors, I had a
startup error that said something about udev unable to run; it flew by
pretty fast.  Well I ran apt-get hotplug, let it uninstall udev and
friends, and everything appears to be working.
Odd that that would also affect shutdown, which hung indefinitely
until I replaced hotplug, and now, I tested it and it shuts down and
restarts smoothly.

If it's not too much bother, could someone point me to up-to-date usb
stick auto-mounting procedures?  I know this is around, but I've seen
different versions, and I can't install usbmount or I lose hotplug.  I
can install pmount, but not hal.

Thanks for everyone's time on this.
-Chuckk