Re: Fluxbox + Firefox slow

On 7/22/06, Linas Žvirblis <0x0007@gmail.com> wrote:
Nick Wright wrote:

> I use fluxbox as my window manager. Its pretty sweet for most stuff --
> light and fast. However when scrolling around in firefox the system is
> brought to its knees (CPU load spikes to 80-90%). This also happens
> quite a bit when altering the focus between firefox and other windows.

Disabling smooth scrolling may help. Although on my system it still is
slow as hell.

> Does anyone else find the same thing? Can you recommend any
> alternatives to firefox that perform better in fluxbox (and obviously
> is as featureful as possible)

In my experience, pretty much anything will perform better.

-- Epiphany (epiphany-browser) --

-- Galeon (galeon) --

One of these was a fork of the other, now they are in the process of
merging back together.

-- Kazehakase (kazehakase) --

An interesting GTK+ based browser. It is somewhat similar to Galeon, but
does things differently. The drawback is that it will pull Mozilla in.

Never heard of this one before. By "pull Mozilla in" do you mean it uses
Gecko, the Moz rendering engine? Because Epiphany and Galeon use it too.

-- Mozilla (mozilla-browser) --

The mother of all free software browsers. Has a lot of features,
extensions, and the *one true interface* (w/ modern theme)

Fixed ;-)
I use Mozilla, (SeaMonkey - same diff) and I don't have any really bad
performance problems (700 MHz P3, GeForce2, 512 MB RAM). On
the other hand, I use Focus on Click and I keep everything except
xterms, psi, etc. maximized. Also, if you use Thunderbird, Moz
has the mail client built-in, so it uses less memory than having
FF and Tbird both running. Memory is a crucial issue with FF
and Moz.

Some other browsers:

Dillo -
Really lightweight, but the rendering engine is not that as good as
some.

Konqueror -
The KDE browser. Pretty heavy on startup, but doesn't seem to
eat memory like Moz and FF do. Its rendering engine, KHTML,
was turned into webcore by Apple and used in Safari. I use it
on those occasions that I want a graphical file manager.

Opera 9 -
Not open source, but free, very lightweight and really powerful.
Its rendering engine is at least as good as Gecko. I don't
use it primarily because I can't stand its interface and
secondarily because it's not open source.

Cheers,
Kelly