Re: ICQ with Linux

I have not tried ICQ or Jabber yet but you didn't mention Kopete and it manages them as it manages MSN and yahoo or other. Maybe give it a try ?

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
I've been following the various suggestions come from this list about the possibilities Linux offers to chat:
my family want to use `messenger' and ICQ, and before resigning myself
to use MS Windows I wanted to check all the possibilities.

My impression is that `gaim' manages to use the MSN protocol quite fine,
whereas for ICQ, nor `licq' neither `centericq' neither `gabber' (through
jabber network) can satisfactorily replace the richness of original ICQ for MS Windows. They only allow the mere IM function but don't really allow (as far as I saw) wide users search or multiple chat.

So I'll have to use MS Windows, although I wouldn't like.
If anybody has a different experience, i.e. finds that licq,
or any other application can perform those functions just or almost
just as the original does - and this means that I didn't manage to use them properly - please let me know, I'll be glad to have been wrong.

Thanks, cheers,
Rodolfo