Bluez - PIN

Running sid.

After a recent upgrade - my phone can no longer pair.

I see the rfcomm0 port opened, and the phone then asks for a pin (I'm a
little confused here - since it's already been paired and registered in
the phone's list of devices).

But - no pin works - I just get "Pin Mismatch" on the phone. No prompt
for a pin on the laptop either.

I've attached the two config files below. Note that changing the
security setting from auto to user - still no prompt on the laptop
(after any changes to these files I've run /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart)

I tried removing the device from the phone's list - same thing.
Restarted the phone and the phone's bluetooth. No change.

Oddly there is a /etc/bluetooth/pin file that also contains just the string

1234

This _may_ be a hangover from older versions.

Packages:

ii  bluez-hcidump           1.31-1
ii  bluez-pin               0.30-2.1
ii  bluez-utils             3.1-2

Where does bluez-pin fit in when hcid.conf has a local passkey set?

So - how do I get rid of this pin mismatch error on the phone?

/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf

rfcomm0 {
  bind yes;
  device <my device's correct id>;
  channel 1;
  comment "S700i GPRS";
}

/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf

# HCId options
options {
        # Automatically initialize new devices
        autoinit yes;

        # Security Manager mode
        #   none - Security manager disabled
        #   auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
        #   user - Always ask user for a PIN
        #
        security auto;

        # Pairing mode
        #   none  - Pairing disabled
        #   multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
        #   once  - Pair once and deny successive attempts
        pairing multi;

        # Default PIN code for incoming connections
        passkey "1234";
}

# Default settings for HCI devices
device {
        # Local device name
        #   %d - device id
        #   %h - host name
        name "%h-%d";

        # Local device class
        class 0x3e0100;

        # Default packet type
        #pkt_type DH1,DM1,HV1;

        # Inquiry and Page scan
        iscan enable; pscan enable;

        # Default link mode
        #   none   - no specific policy
        #   accept - always accept incoming connections
        #   master - become master on incoming connections,
        #            deny role switch on outgoing connections
        lm accept;

        # Default link policy
        #   none    - no specific policy
        #   rswitch - allow role switch