Re: setting up partition before cryptsetup

* Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> [2006-07-19 15:58:19 +0100]:

> In my opinion it is more secure to keep confidential data in a
> dedicated encrypted partition which is only initialised and mounted
> when really needed. If you are really paranoid, you can remove your
> network connection whenever the secred data is mounted.
>
> If you have the entire system encrypted and mount everything at boot,
> then your data is only safe with the computer is turned off. A hacker
> who gains root has everything...

The flipside to that is the cracker that searches journals on journalled
filesystems for sensitive data (keys for encrypted partitions, even the
sensitive document itself).

A healthy dose of paranoia is in order here.  Look at how you plan to
manage your encrypted data.

--
Cheers,

  Dave