Re: sarge for i386

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 21:58, mike williams wrote:
> is it possible to use the gnu\lnux as a "normal" OS to do things like
> browse webpages and download programs etc... and if so,how? i dont have a
> problem logging in,but then all i get is debia"a"mike~$, what do i do from
> there to browse web pages etc...

Sounds like you only have a base-install; you need to install a graphical
desktop environment etc. to do what you want.

The easiest way is to login then type "tasksel" (without the quotes, short
for "task select") and select from the options presented. I guess you
want "desktop" or "laptop". You move the cursor with the arrow keys and
select with the spacebar, hit return, and as long as you have an internet
connection - ethernet is the most straightforward at this stage of an
install - all the stuff you need gets downloaded and installed automatically.

You might get asked a few questions; the defaults are normally OK; but if you
want you can google, say, "debian install how-to" for more info.

Good luck!

John