Re: sarge for i386

John O'Hagan <johnohagan@iprimus.com.au>:
>  On Tuesday 18 July 2006 21:58, mike williams wrote:
> > is it possible to use the gnu\lnux as a "normal" OS to do things like
> > browse webpages and download programs etc... and if so,how? i dont have a
> > problem logging in,but then all i get is debia"a"mike~$, what do i do from
> > there to browse web pages etc...
>
>  Sounds like you only have a base-install; you need to install a graphical
>  desktop environment etc. to do what you want.

You kid!  You don't need a GUI for this.  lynx, links, w3m, ssh,
telnet, scp, ftp, mutt, pine, slrn, man, vi, emacs, ... all work fine
from a bare console terminal assuming the apps are installed.

We might prefer to do it in X, but X isn't necessary.

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
           Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html