Problem with ghc-pkg

I hope someone can help me. I'm trying to get rid of libghc6-c2hs-dev; every time I use aptitude I get an error message because of it. When I try apt-get remove libghc6-c2hs-dev, I get:

Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.

When I try to re-install it, I get another error:

ghc-pkg: cannot find package c2hs

I have verified that package c2hs is indeed installed.

Any ideas?  I can find very little documentation on ghc-pkg.