Re: Chatting with Debian GNU/Linux

bootlog <boo2you@gmx.net> writes:

> afaik icq doesn't offer chatrooms. it's a pure IM network. so the idea
> is to "chat" with one specific person on direct connection, not in a
> chat room. you don' t need no special syntax, it's just about searching
> or simply adding people that use icq to your list.

Today I installed icq in my MS Windows partition and tried it,
and it is actually possible to join public group chatrooms:
I did it myself. There's a room called `#Computers', another one
called `#20 something', another named `#French' and so on.
They're hundreds.
Maybe you mean that they're not strictly related to icq?
But anyway I don't manage to join them through `gaim', nor with
`centericq' nor with `gabber' (using Jabber network).
I wish I could do without MS Windows.

Further hints highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rodolfo