Re: Digital Camera Flash Memory won't Mount

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:56:38 -0500
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Micha Feigin wrote:
>
> Hey, thanks for the kind reply.
>
> > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:32:51 -0500
> > Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >>[and can't get it to mount]

> >>[snip]
> >>
> >>Thanks for your kind response.
> >>
> >>I'll get more information and put it here...
> >>

> > Although there is a basic usb disk protocol, different devices have
> > different abilities and some of them don't respond well to the quarries
> > about their abilities.
> >
> > At least for me, the generic card readers tend to work a lot better then
> > connecting the cameras directly.
>
> I thought I addressed that issue with my OP.
>
> >> My girlfriend has a Sony Mavica MVC FD200 with Flash Memory
> >> cards. The card reader is a Dazzle USB card reader. It mounts
> >> just fine with Windows XP, but does not mount with Debian.
>
> She's not trying to mount the camera directly, she's
> trying to mount the memory card using a Dazzle USB reader.
>
> > If you can compile a kernel yourself then you can compile in debugging for
> > usb to get some debug messages.
>
> I'd rather not. If Debian or any other version of Linux can't do the
> things she wants, then it's going to get tossed off the machine, and
> XP installed, probably.
>
> > You can also try to look at the output of dmesg and
> > cat /proc/bus/usb/devices, the first gives you the kernel messages and the
> > second, what usb devices are recognized on your system.
>
> Worth a shot. Thanks!
>
> She has successfully mounted a USB drive on the same USB port.

The problem is not the usb port but whether the kernel negotiates with the
device properly. Try to first connect the reader without the card and then do
immediately cat /proc/bus/usb/devices (lsusb should work also). If the device is
negotiated with properly, this should return rather quickly and show the
existing usb ports and the plugged in device. If this locks up for 10-20
seconds and then doesn't show the device then linux is doing something that the
device doesn't like. This may be solved by later/earlier kernels, but can also
be handled by a different card reader. Once this returns, recognizing the
device or not, run dmesg | tail -n 40. You should see messages telling about
what went on. If you post the output for both of these we could probably help
more.

If the device is recognized properly, then it may just be an issue of mounting
the right thing (these cards are sometimes formatted in different ways in term
of file systems and partitions).