Re: [deb-user] startup strangeness

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 22:53 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> These seem totally unrelated, but they started with the exact same boot:
>
> 1) double Jack connection kits on startup- one seems to be well before
> the other, so maybe a link is being visited twice?

Never used jack, sorry can't help you.

> 2) higher screen res than default- I installed one level higher than
> what I really wanted, just to have the option, but it automatically
> uses the highest res now, no matter how many times I switch it to
> 1280x1024 and select "make default for this computer".  I mean, I
> assume that's not normal operation.  You are supposed to be able to
> lower the default screen res, right?

as the "root" user do this at a command prompt, assuming Sarge (3.1x):

	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

If you only want a (or just one) default resolution on this machine,
highlight only the one you want.

You can always use the Screen Resolution tool to change it temporarily.

> Linux froze on me a few minutes ago, lol.  Trying to close a Jack
> connection dialog, it offered to force-quit.  When they say Linux is
> the most stable OS around, that doesn't include like specialty stuff,
> does it?  Because wouldn't the Secret Service and the CIA use Linux
> everywhere?  Maybe they do.  I'm assuming they create their own OS's.

Maybe the GUI froze on you... was the mouse still responsive, did you
try a "CTRL+ALT+F1" to switch to a command prompt. Did you try a "CTRL
+ALT+BACKSPACE" to tell "X" to dump and re-initialize?

Specialty stuff is where Linux in Generally THRIVES. What usually is the
case, is inexperience of trying to get things to work. With Linux there
are usually about 7-10 ways to do something. For example, to listen to
an mp3, there about (/me does a quick "apt-cache search mp3 play") 163
packages related some how to MP3 playback (is unstable/SID). some do
more than MP3 playback, but the point is they still do the playback.

As far as the Secret
Service/CIA/NSA/FBI/ARMY/NAVY/AIRFORCE/MARINES/COSTGUARD/...

They all are currently using Linux in one form or another. Plus some
have even released the improvements back into the community.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.