Re: Installing Debian with Raid and LVM , help

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:03:09PM -0400, S Scharf wrote:

> My recollection is that you cannot have the /boot directory
> on a Logical Volume. I created two RAID partitions, one
> for the /boot directory and one for the LVM for everything
> else.

My experience is that , using LILO, you can't have the files LILO needs
at boot time on an LVM on a RAID.  I don't know whether it's RAID or LVM
or both that cause the problem.  My /usr is an LVM on a RAID.  But lilo
seems to need some files on /usr at boot time.  I presume it can't find
their block addresses when I run
	lilo -v
and therefore cannot set up to boot.

If I knew what these files were, I could try putting them on /boot
and symbolically linking to them.  Or is my whole analysis completely
wrong?  /boot is on a reiserfs.  Could that be the problem instead?

grub boots OK.  The 32-bit grup even boots the 64-bit alternate boot
partition OK.  (i've got an AMD64) But I'd like to use lilo to set
up a boot floppy -- just in case.

-- hendrik