Re: ssh in debian

Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 11:33:34PM +0200, mattias jonsson wrote:
how to activate ssh in debian?
i run colinux debian

Client or server?  (I'm assuming here that colinux lets linux talk to
the host's networking, I don't how to set it up if it doesn't)

The client should be installed by default--to run it just type
`ssh <other machine>`

The server will (I think) be installed by default in stable, but in
testing/unstable you'll need to install the package 'openssh-server'.
With that taken care of, it should start automatically, if not issue
`/etc/init.d/ssh start`
If it doesn't start, take note of the error messages and search on
those.

IIRC, neither ssh client nor server are installed by default (unless you select task server, workstation, etc. when prompted by the installer).

aptitude install ssh

should install both client and server and set it up for you (debian stable and etch).

Johannes