Re: Firefox text display is misbehaving

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 12:39:35 -0700, Aenoch Lynn wrote:
> On 07/14/2006 09:36 AM John - wrote:
> > Since yesterday's upgrade of firefox to 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.4-2,
> > something's out of whack: only the first word on each line of text is
> > displayed. If I click on or highlight the line (via left mouse
> > button), the rest of the words usually appear, then disappear again if
> > I move the mouse. This behavior extends even to Firefox's own buttons:
> > e.g., "Check     " becomes "Check Mail" when touched.
> >
> > Mozilla-browser displays text OK, as does mozilla-firefox in a
> > chrooted sarge installation on the same computer.  So I think it's a
> > firefox problem. Downgrading firefox as low as 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.3-2 does
> > not help, nor does fiddling with fonts via "Preferences," nor even
> > purging and reinstalling it.
> >
> > The machine with the misbehavior is a ThinkPad A31, pure sid, and it
> > shows up with two different home-compiled kernels: 2.6.16 from Debian
> > and 2.6.17 from kernel.org.
> >
> > Got suggestions? If so, thanks!
> >

> I have this problem as well, but on my system it is not restricted to
> firefox.  I see the problem in gaim, xcdroast, galeon, gimp, and a few
> others.  I don't see the problem in mozilla, thunderbird, konquerer,
> gnome-terminal, and gedit.  When I create a new user and try these
> applications, they appear to be okay for awhile, then they have the same
> problem.  I'm running sid, linux-image-2.6.15-1, on a Thinkpad T40.

This sounds like it might be caused by a bug in a library which is used
by all these programs. I can't reproduce the problem on my up-to-date
Sid system, so it might depend on a subtle combination of packages
and/or settings. This is potentially nasty to track down, but I have one
suggestion: I used my aptitude logs to compile a list of all packages
which have also been upgraded since the last firefox upgrade. Then I
cross-checked this list against the dependencies of firefox. This turned
up two suspects:

libglib2.0-0
libglib2.0-data

I would check if you have both of these packages in their newest version
(2.10.3-3). Maybe the problem is caused by a version mismatch. If this
is not the case try downgrading both of them to the version from
testing (2.10.2-1).

--
Regards,
          Florian