Firefox text display is misbehaving

Since yesterday's upgrade of firefox to 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.4-2,
something's out of whack: only the first word on each line of text is
displayed. If I click on or highlight the line (via left mouse
button), the rest of the words usually appear, then disappear again if
I move the mouse. This behavior extends even to Firefox's own buttons:
e.g., "Check     " becomes "Check Mail" when touched.

Mozilla-browser displays text OK, as does mozilla-firefox in a
chrooted sarge installation on the same computer.  So I think it's a
firefox problem. Downgrading firefox as low as 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.3-2 does
not help, nor does fiddling with fonts via "Preferences," nor even
purging and reinstalling it.

The machine with the misbehavior is a ThinkPad A31, pure sid, and it
shows up with two different home-compiled kernels: 2.6.16 from Debian
and 2.6.17 from kernel.org.

Got suggestions? If so, thanks!

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com