Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

Carl Fink wrote:
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 10:51:03PM -0500, Jay C Vollmer wrote:

On Thursday 13 July 2006 21:24, Carl Fink wrote:

I'm not an electrochemist, but modern Li-ion batteries don't develop
memory, they just lose capacity each time they're charged.

Isn't what you're describing 'memory?'

No.

A NiCad battery has true memory.  If you discharge it 35% then recharge it,
it tends to be only 35% of capacity ever after.  With Li-Ion batteries, if

This is incorrect. Very early NiCd cells used in satellites exhibited
symptoms vaguely similar (but only vaguely) to what you describe, and
those were the liquid filled ones. The modern ones do not have any
memory effect whatsoever.

you discharge it 35% and recharge it, it might lose (WAG) 1% of its
capacity.

Each charge/discharge cycle causes *any* secondary cell to lose
some of it's ability to accept another charge. It's called
"wearout".

For a simple explanation of what is happening, see

http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_NiCd_Battery.html
http://www.buchmann.ca/Article10-Page1.asp

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.