Freetype Hinting

Does anyone know if it's possible to enable the bytecode hinting in freetype2 on a debian system? As I understand, this was disabled by default because of patent issues.

I could remove the library package (libfreetype6) and manually compile to get the hinting enabled, but that is going to mess up my apt stuff, right? Maybe there's an alternate debian package for libfreetype6 that has the superior hinting enabled? Or perhaps there's another way to mess with these settings?

Thanks,
Jeremy