Re: debian-user: Firewire?

On 7/13/06, Kenward Vaughan <kay_jay@earthlink.net> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:54:39PM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 7/13/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

What work has to be done depends on whether your dist. has it compiled
in for the stock kernels.  Apparently Debian's have it.

I see it should be in there now, but this is from
http://www.linux1394.org/start_req.php :

"Patience. The applications for working with IEEE 1394 are not yet
mature, and problems and compatibility issues exist. Do not be
surprised if something does not work. Also, all of the known
applications are not yet distributed in a binary format, so you must
compile and install them yourself. This could take quite a bit of time
and energy if you are not familiar with Linux administration and/or
programming."
Daunting, but I don't have much choice.

-Chuckk

I am a non-programmer (OK, OK, APL in high-school, main frame 360 out
of William and Mary...).  Pure hobbyist at the OS level.  I always roll
my own kernel.  No programming involved, but it does require that you
learn a chunk about your box's innards.

Not hard to do, but requires patience and some time.  Kernel-package
makes the installation easy.  For myself, grub is automatically
updated, so the working older kernel is normally kept as a backup (as
long as it's a version change, at least, like 2.6.15 to 2.6.16) in case
what I've created turns into a monster on bootup.

It's not a bad idea to have a rescue partition set up on an unused Gb
chunk on your HD as well, along with a grub rescue floppy (CD?).

There must be at least a few hundred primers out there on doing this.

Try it sometime.  :)

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,