Re: How many serious backport problems have there been?

Joseph Smidt wrote:
> I know things on backports.org can't be guaranteed, but what is their
> track record.  Do they just warn you but in reality most people
> experience few problems, or has it been people's experience that
> backports are a headache.  Also, I know they don't have an official
> security team, but historically are security vulnerabilities fixed in
> backports, or do they constantly have security issues? Thanks.

Generally (or maybe in all cases), backports are maintained by the same
people that maintain the current versions in the Debian archive.  That
said, they usually are of the same quality as the other packages you
would expect.  However, the developers don't usually test all
combinations of backports, making it more likely that you will be the
first to discover some strange or broken package interaction.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto