Re: Daylight Savings Time Extended

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

On Thursday 13 July 2006 12:11, Ron Johnson wrote:

Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thursday 13 July 2006 10:32, Jerry DuVal wrote:

>> I am trying to determine if the timezone data in libc6 has been
>> updated already for next years extension of daylight savings
>> time in the United States.

> Not that this surprises me given the current administration, but
> the US extended a bad policy without informing the public when it
> happened?  WTF? Should be getting rid of DST, not extending it...
> the half the justification for DST shot himself in the head
> somewhere in Europe in 1945, and we nuked the other half...so why
> do we still have our clocks fighting World War II?

I've heard people blame Bush for a lot, but unilaterally changing
DST?  Get a grip, and do some Googling.

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday of March and end the first Sunday of November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to revert the Daylight Saving Time back to the 2005 time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete.

Sounds unilateral to me. Besides, like I said, what good does it do? None. What harm does it do? 3000 traffic fatalities in the first 7 days following every time change caused by jet-lag-like fatigue. If you liked 9/11, you'll love DST.

Bush signed into law a bill *that was passed by Congress*.  Not
unilateral at all.

Chris Mattern