Re: Odp: Re: Hugin on debian "sarge"

On Thursday 13 July 2006 15:39, Zbigniew Wiech wrote:
> Hi,
> It's not a problem of desktop and GUI. I could really live with
> blackscreen and "./configure/make/make install" instead of "setup.exe". If
> only "./configure..." was more-less equally reliable as "setup.exe".
>
> I know it is.... Technically. If you have all proper dependencies,
> "includes", "dev" packages - it works.
> But trying to guess what components I should install to satisfy all
> dependencies is a russian roulette.
>
> Commercial software is equipped with clear and intuitive helps and
> manuals. Free one is not, what is somewhat obvious. For sure it's a blue
> ocean for anybody who provides linux  based IT services. Cost of software
> vs cost of expertise ;)
>
> regards
> Zbigniew
Part of the difficulty is that if you are downloading a TAR file and
installing that then this is not a TAR file for this distribution, but
rather for all distributions.  Getting consistant package names across
all distributions is non-trivial.  There are also problems sometimes
when an source package name clashes with another name that is already
in a distribution.  So while in a perfect world all names are the same
in the real world oddities are quite likely.

David