Odp: Re: Hugin on debian "sarge"

Hi,
It's not a problem of desktop and GUI. I could really live with blackscreen and "./configure/make/make install" instead of "setup.exe". If only "./configure..." was more-less equally reliable as "setup.exe".

I know it is.... Technically. If you have all proper dependencies, "includes", "dev" packages - it works.
But trying to guess what components I should install to satisfy all dependencies is a russian roulette.

Commercial software is equipped with clear and intuitive helps and manuals. Free one is not, what is somewhat obvious. For sure it's a blue ocean for anybody who provides linux  based IT services. Cost of software vs cost of expertise ;)

regards
Zbigniew

Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net>

2006-07-13 09:35

Do
debian-user@lists.debian.org
DW
Temat
Re: Hugin on debian "sarge"

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 12:06:03PM +0200, Zbigniew Wiech wrote:
> I see.
>
> Linux is now mature enough for home applications - multimedia etc, also
> for small office  - LAN, internet, Word. I use it for both for a couple of
> months and I like it.
>
> The only drawback is this damned end-user-service. Obscure manuals, "guess
> installations", much of IT work before you really get in.
>
> I understand that (almost) for free you cannot expect much. But it's a
> real thing that keeps linux away from average people and popularity.
>
> regards
Hi Zbigniew,
this is why Knoppix, and Now Ubuntu was created! They target a different
audience. Debian can be used by many folks, but it is not as end-user,
no-command-line focused as the ones mentioned before. It was not
targeted to an average M$ or  Mac user. This need is being filled by
other distros that want to target those users. Free software allow this
natural competition/free market and it gives users the power to make their own
choices.
cheers,
Kev
--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux == |       my web site:       |
| : :' :      The  Universal     | debian.home.pipeline.com |