Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

I'm going piggy back a couple responses here...

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Digby Tarvin wrote:

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:45:20AM -0700, Greg Ryman wrote:
I would say to do a reboot and possible a file system check once a month
to avoid corruption and unintended loss of data. Other then that, you
don't need to reboot.

Greg, what makes you think this is needed?  What FS do you usually use?

I would also suggest a reboot any time you use apt to do an upgrade,

I'd modify this a little. I schedule a reboot to follow any significant security upgrade or when important libraries are updated. In essence the key is to avoid leaving compromised binaries and libs in memory even if the on-disk copies are fixed. If in doubt schedule a reboot.

or otherwise change or reconfigure your system. It is much easier to
solve a booting problem if you can remember what has changed since it
was last working...

As Debian security updates are (in general) backported it has an excellent record for stuff not breaking on a security update (unlike some other major OSes and distros I could mention).

I _only_ use Stable in production and I keep even backports to a minimum for production boxes. Right now none of the production Debian boxes under my control have any backported packages.

It is the same logic as for servers which run 24/7.

Exactly.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073

If you are emailing regarding an open ticket please consider
mentioning the ticket ID as this will assist us in responding
as quickly as possible.