Re: Upgrade question

Florian:

Many thanks. This is exaclty what i was looking for.

Paras.

On 7/10/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 18:56:14 +0545, Paras pradhan wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Yes i did using apt-get. I am using etch and have gnome 2.14 now.
>
> Is it possible to see the new related packages that can be upgraded
> using synaptic for main package gnome-core?

I don't know about synaptic, but if you don't mind using the command
line you can install the package "apt-rdepends" to list all dependencies
of a given package. This is done recursively, i.e. it will also include
the dependencies of the dependencies and so on until you have a complete
list of everything that is needed.

To make sure these packages are all in the newest version you can run:

apt-rdepends --state-follow=Installed --state-show=Installed gnome-core | awk '/^ /{print $2}' | sort -u | sudo apt-get install $(cat)

This is supposed to be all on one line. (Email programs sometimes insert
line breaks which screw up such long commands.)

--
Regards,
          Florian