Re: diagnosing hard-locks [was memtest+ won't load]

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 02:02:42AM -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:
> >
> > ~$ sudo update-grub
> > Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
> > Testing for an existing GRUB menu.list file... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst .
> > Searching for splash image... none found, skipping...
> > Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-3-686
> > Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386
> > Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
> > Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
> >
> > Note the 'memtest86+.bin' entry ;-)
> >
> > So now when I reboot I'll have that option...
> >

> I googled the memtest issue and found one good hit that said you have
> to burn the img directly to a floppy. I've done that with dd and it
> works like a charm, boots right into memtest. It must be some grub
> related issue that prevents it from booting properly from within
> grub. maybe grub is occupying the memory it tries to load
> to. Regardless, I've run memtest for about 13 hours with no
> errors. another culprit eliminated.

Oh... so you *can* and do have a choice for memtest86+ in the GRUB menu ?
And when you try to run it from there (using up/down arrows to select it) , it
Hangs? and gives you that "Out of memory"  error you stated earlier ?

FWIW, when I recently installed memtest86*+*, I inadvertantly installed
_memtest86_ (no '+' -- the Older version)...so I first 'sudo apt-get remove
--purge memtest86' and only *then* did I install memtest86+, and then I ran
'sudo updatedb', and consequently, 'sudo update-grub' and that was it ;-).

FWIW - No manual editing of /boot/grub/menu.lst was necessary.

Do you have the older "memtest86" installed too? (perhaps conflicts with '+'
version).

If that's not the problem, perhaps try the older memtest86 (withOUT the '+'),
since you said that's older hardware.. Some of the newer versions
routines/tests may conflict with something (?) But I see you're all set anyways
with the floppy ;-) I just wouldn't/can't *rely* on a floppy for maintaining
crucial data whatsoever.

I have NOT yet *chosen* memtest86+ from my GRUB menu, but it's there now, and I
will try to boot into it during next reboot ;-)

Regards