Voodoo 4/5 display problem

I'm using KDE, with a Voodoo 3 card. Excellent display. THen I try to swap it for a Voodoo 4. I get a crawling display [that's how it looks - all the pixels constantly moving]. I looked ona another machine I usually use without GUI - it has a Voodoo 5. I load KDE, I get the crawling problem. So it's something about debian [windows 2k looks great on these cards - dual booting so I know]. Any ideas? Is there something I need to change? - Joe