Re: diagnosing hard-locks [was memtest+ won't load]

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 02:02:42AM -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:

> ~$ sudo update-grub
> Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
> Testing for an existing GRUB menu.list file... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst .
> Searching for splash image... none found, skipping...
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-3-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386
> Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
> Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
>
> Note the 'memtest86+.bin' entry ;-)
>
> So now when I reboot I'll have that option...

I googled the memtest issue and found one good hit that said you have
to burn the img directly to a floppy. I've done that with dd and it
works like a charm, boots right into memtest. It must be some grub
related issue that prevents it from booting properly from within
grub. maybe grub is occupying the memory it tries to load
to. Regardless, I've run memtest for about 13 hours with no
errors. another culprit eliminated.