Re: diagnosing hard-locks [was memtest+ won't load]

Willie Wonka wrote:
> Back to you and Memtest86;
> I too have used the Knoppix CD and type this at the prompt;
> Boot: memtest86
>
> Just did a bit of searching my local HD, and it turns out I hadn't yet
> installed memtest86+ this time around - so I just recently installed it,
since
> I want to see if the 'update-grub' command would do what it says in the
> AutoMagic section.
>
> I recall having 'memtest86' as a GRUB option in the past - so after I run the
> update, I'll be back to let you know (since you seemed to have a little
trouble
> using memtest86+ at first... I guess you thought/think you have to actually
> edit (comment/uncomment the "memtest86" line) the /boot/grub/menu.lst file --
> but according to AutoMagic, you shouldn't have to. The 'update-grub' command
is
> all that's needed.

Okey dokey;
Back from the Update-grub procedure and have NOT yet rebooted, but look at the
output;
Recall that I ran 'sudo apt-get install memtest86+' beforehand -- Oh, I also
did 'sudo updatedb', which I do directly after every app type install, so the
system can find what it needs.

~$ sudo update-grub
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.list file... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst .
Searching for splash image... none found, skipping...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-3-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Note the 'memtest86+.bin' entry ;-)

So now when I reboot I'll have that option...

hth someone

Regards