Re: DNS and resolv.conf

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 09:41:13AM -0300, Tyler Smith wrote:
> Ok, I'm not sure if I've done this correctly, but I think it works now.
> I installed DCHP (already had DCHPclient), and pdns-recursor. That
> wasn't enough on its own, so I did a dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf,
> followed by ifdown  & ifup. I couldn't figure out how to restart the DNS
> cache, as suggested in the resolvconf README, so I rebooted assuming
> that would do it. Now it seems to be working. The only change I can see
> is that the following line has been added to my resolv.conf file:

I don't know what pdns-recursor is, and resolvconf was a big
headache for me the last time I tried to get it to work. (I
don't remember now what the trouble was.)

Normally networking Just Works under Linux, without
resolvconf. You just do

/etc/init.d/networking restart

and up it goes. Things are a little trickier when you're
using static IP, but not much. And they get maybe annoyingly
tricky when you do wireless, but not much -- and certainly
they don't get annoying because of resolv.conf messiness.

I'm curious how you got into the spot you're in, where
resolv.conf isn't working.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org