Re: Update all the packages that depend on a particular package

On Thursday 06 July 2006 14:15, Stephen R Laniel wrote:

> above command | xargs -i apt-get install '{}'

The -i option is not documented in the xargs man page. The -I is documented
but I do not know whether they are the same. Anyway I changed the xargs
command to -n1. So now the command looks as

$apt-rdepends vim-full 2>&1 |grep Depends |sed 's/^\s\+Depends: //' |
sed 's/^\s\+PreDepends: //' |sed 's/([^)]\+)$//' |sort |uniq | xargs -n1 sudo
apt-get install

however there is a slight problem with this. The interactive behaviour
of 'apt-get install' is a bit different. For example there is the following
situation

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  debconf-i18n
  debconf-english
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 605 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/852B of archives.
After unpacking 754kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Abort.

At this point I would like the prompt to wait for the user's input. But I dont
know why apt-get is Aborting it.

I also do not want to use --assume-yes since sometimes I would like to say no
and sometimes I would like to say yes at these prompts.

thanks
raju

--
This email account uses challenge-response system.
Contact me only if you are comfortable with it.