Re:

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 03:47:32PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> Why not download the latest netinstall ISO image (or CD1 image), wipe
> the hard drive, and do a fresh install?  That way, you set the root
> password, you create a normal user account for yourself and set the
> password, and you install the packages you want and need.
>
> HTH,
>
> David

Delanna:

The first suggestion is very good, but you may not realize what is involved.
Since you have gotten your question onto this email list, you must have
access to the web on some other computer than the one you have just purchased.
I suggest that you look at www.debian.org all the data that you need to follow
the suggestion is available there. And there is a wealth of information on
what Debian is, and how to use it.

It may seem overwhelming if you are not familiar with Linux, but with help
from this email list, you can do what has been suggested. You need to download
a file from that web site and 'burn' it onto a CR-rom. Then you need to use
that CD-rom to install a new copy of the Debian software onto the computer.
You will get a clean new set of software, without personal stuff of the
previous owner (his pornographic images, or whatever).

Others may chime in on this with better suggestions, but this is a realistic
suggestion. Your money has not been wasted.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net