cd copy/read errors

Hello,

I am thoroughly confused.  I have been attempting to burn an exact copy of a disc containing proprietary software for backup purposes (disc is expensive).  I have found many similar posts on many mailing lists but none solve my issue.  This is what I have tried thus far:

$ cat /dev/cdrom > blah.iso
<see error example below>

$ isoinfo -d -i /dev/hdc
CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id: Solaris
Volume id: MATLAB_SV14
Volume set id:
Publisher id: The MathWorks,Inc
Data preparer id:
Application id: MATLAB
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set sequence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 335261
Joliet with UCS level 3 found
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found

dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=335261 > blah2.iso

All of the above commands result in many errors resembling following error:

ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 4676
printk: 1 messages suppressed.
Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 1169
hdb: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }

I can mount and run programs off of this disk, so I know it is readable.  Is there some copy protection feature?

Thank you.

-- dan elliott