Re: Fwd: Re: How do I configure Audigy LS Soundcard? ALSA, Etch, 7.1 speaker

steef wrote:

Subject: Re: How do I configure Audigy LS Soundcard? ALSA, Etch, 7.1 speaker
Date: Thursday 29 June 2006 23:58
From: Søren Christensen <severino@ulvedalen.dk>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 11:13:44PM +0200, Søren Christensen wrote:
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 12:02:17PM +0200, steef wrote:
[...]

what kernel are you using? what distro? did you compile the alsa-driver
yourself or are you using the debian_version (built-in in the
2.6.x-kernels)? did you install alsa-utils and/or alsa-base and the
alsa-libs?
Ok, perhaps I've been a bit sparse on informations.

Kernel: 2.6.15-1-486
Distro: Etch
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy SE
chipset: CA0106

I'm using the alsa-driver from Debian, and I have installed alsa-base
and alsa-utils and alsa-libs

are you using the right chip? if you read the adequate webpages on the
alsa-website you can see that different soundblaster_cards need
different chips. maybe that is the problem?

I myself prefer to compile/install the driver-source (--tar.gz) as root
in/from the directory /usr/source/alsa directly into the kernel. that
works only if you install your kernelheaders and get rid of a small
'lockup-file' within lib/modules/kernel &&.
install as root alsa-libs and alsa-utils as well. on this way I got a -
really good!- sound immediately out of my soundblaster-card. the
on_board intel8x0 sound chip seems to confuse, when turned on *together*
with the soundblaster_card, my audio_programs. that 's the reason i
turned it off.
I think I would make it a module, perhaps because compiling it into the
kernel seems to be to difficult for me, but ...

by the way: did you put snd-ca0106 in /etc/modules ?
no, I will do so, and reboot.

Now I have output. White noise. When there is sound output (for example
from xmms) there is white noise in the speakers. That is, if I un-check
SPDIF-Out in GNOME-alsamixer.

It points in the direction of compiling a new driver. Is there somewhere
a guide to do that?

.......yes, there is. look for the driver_page on the alsa_website. as i remember well, it is easy to find a detailed instruction how to build a new driver into your [etch_]kernel.

i have two hd's on my [simple] machine. one production_hd with stable and one experimental hd with unstable; the last for fun and out of curiosity.

before this i 'ran' etch a certain time and i never was quite content with the 2.6.15 (?) kernel, with gave on my machine some hardware_problems with the sound_output. so i dist_upgraded to unstable and installed kernel 2.6.16; and all troubles were gone. so it *could* be some hardware incompatability.

in your place i should start to try to install as root the alsa-driver into the kernel-modules which might seem scaring but is rather standard because alsa does much of the work for you. alsa version 1.0.11 contains updated, good working ca0106_software. under *etch* as i remember well, the bug in the *debian*-version of the alsa_ca0106_chip was not yet repaired. i should combine this with installing the alsa-libs and the alsa-utils of the same alsa-version, 1.0.11 (the last).

i guess you might want to try this out yourself. if not, i am, of course, if you wish so, prepaired to write to you the exact procedure i followed to get my soundblaster_card in working order. this last work i can do tomorrow-evening, because we are on a trip the rest of the day.

hope this is of some help,

good luck!

steef