RE: eth0: flipped to 10baseT appears on login prompt

This appears because of something like the following in syslog.conf
#       *.=debug;*.=info;\
#       *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty8

I suggest you install mii-diag to troubleshoot this problem, with
mii-diag you can monitor auto-negotiation.

You might want to force 100 full duplex ;) if available at the other end
of the wire...