Re: Which desktop for an old thinkpad pentium II with 128MB?

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 05:01, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> Le mardi 27 juin 2006 à 10:42 +0200, Arnau a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> >    I have an old thinkpad pentium II with 128MB of RAM and I'd like to
> > install a desktop. I have been using KDE on that machine and although
> > it's usable, now I'd like to use something ligther. Which desktop would
> > you recommend me?
>
> That's a usual flame-starting question, ain't it?
>
> You have many choices, I liked IceWM, FVWM2 is also a good choice.
>
> I use Ion2 which is lightweight. It's a tabbed window manager where (by
> default) all windows are fullscreen with a tab to select the window. It
> can completely be controlled from the keyboard. (It also fully supports
> the mouse as well as usual floating windows.)

<flame suite>
The one thing that ion lacks by default is alt+tab mapping to switch between
windows.

Another little annoyance is the prompts for passwords etc., are also shown in
full screen. For example, when I open kmail, it prompts for a passoword to
kwallet, even this password prompt takes up a lot of screen.

Other than these two points, ion is an excellent window manager. But they were
good enough to make me go back to my old WM.
</flame suite>

raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar