Re: Which desktop for an old thinkpad pentium II with 128MB?

Le mardi 27 juin 2006 à 10:42 +0200, Arnau a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
>    I have an old thinkpad pentium II with 128MB of RAM and I'd like to
> install a desktop. I have been using KDE on that machine and although
> it's usable, now I'd like to use something ligther. Which desktop would
> you recommend me?

That's a usual flame-starting question, ain't it?

You have many choices, I liked IceWM, FVWM2 is also a good choice.

I use Ion2 which is lightweight. It's a tabbed window manager where (by
default) all windows are fullscreen with a tab to select the window. It
can completely be controlled from the keyboard. (It also fully supports
the mouse as well as usual floating windows.)

These two features make a lot of sense for a laptop:
 - fullscreen: I bet your screen is small, you don't want to waste
   space;
 - full keyboard control: a touchpad is not practical for kilometer-long
   mouse-hikes, resizing windows etc.

T.