Re: Debian server support

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:10:45PM +0000, ZeroUno wrote:
> Hello, I work in a small company where we have an internal
> file/web/some-other-small-things server running Debian Sarge. It's a
> "standard" PC used for server purposes, not a real server.
> Now we're investigating the possibility to upgrade it, and we also want
> to consider REAL servers, but... judging on the info collected until
> now, I'm wondering if this actually makes sense.
Hi $UNKNOWN_PERSON,
how is the server load for the current machines? if they are really
grinding, then of couse, look at basic upgrade like memory, hd type
(sata,scsi) or such or if you expect more usage then a new server with
more modern CPU (maybe a dual cpu) and such. If you are not monitoring
your useage, it would be a good way to determine if you need a new
machine.
If you are not going to use/need 'offical support' (where YOU are the
one doing it) then Red Hat or such certified is not valid for you.
Unless your boss or others want to pay for the support contacts to RH or
NOVELL or SUSE. Debian has not offical body for this expect a basic
consultant list.

> As far as I can see, when you look at server machines, e.g. entry level
> servers from IBM or Intel, they officially declare Linux compatibility
> only for commercial distributions such as Red Hat and SuSE. I still have
> to find a server which is official declared Debian-compatible.
If they have linux support, then this is good, but make sure than it
doesnt REQUIRE binary only drivers for any of the hardware. (or be
prepare to replace the hardware). IBM or similar corporate hardware
supposedly is made from better components, so the price may be worth the
cost for more reliability.

> So I'm asking: why should I buy a server and pay much more than the
> price of a custom-made high level PC, if I'm not even sure it will work
> fine with the OS I'm using, running the risk of encountering binary-only
> drivers for some server features and such, and being pretty sure that in
> case of problems I'll not be able to obtain support from the hardware
> producer because I'm not using one of the officially supported OSs?
>
> What would you suggest us to do?
> Or maybe someone can suggest any Debian-compatible servers?
> Any experiences in this regard?
> Thanks, any info can be really useful.
>
> --

hth,