Re: apt-get pinning ? - Sarge / Stable - only install certain/specific packages from "testing"

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:06:06AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Paul E Condon wrote:
> > need both update and upgrade. Do not rely on /etc/debian_version to tell you
> > what version of debian you are running. It is a user controlled file. Once
> > it is installed in the initial install, it is not changed by the apt-get
> > system.
>
> Yes it is, it's upgraded whenever base-files is upgraded.

Is base-files revised as part of the move to a new r-number? I'm sure
I installed sarge from a 31r2 netinst disk recently, yet my
/etc/debian_version contains "3.1", without any r-number at all.

Of course, if there were a bug in base-files that needed fixing, the
package would need upgrading. But upgrading just to fix the r-number?

The ctime of my /etc/debian_version is 2004-07-26 12:03, which is consistent
with my recollection of when sarge went into a pre-release freeze about
a year before it was released.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net