Re: apt-get pinning ? - Sarge / Stable - only install certain/specific packages from "testing"

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 04:22:08PM -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:
> Hi all;
> I have a few quick questions about how to upgrade ONLY certain apps/pkgs...
>
> Right now, I'm using Debian Sarge 3.1r1 (Kernel 2.6.8-2-386) -- after much
> searching through the archives and also visiting the ftp://ftp.us.debian.org
> testing/main site to look around myself...I need to ask firstly;

Stop! You need to read documentation on apt-get and aptitude before you go
any further in changing your system. There are situations in which following
piecemeal advice, as you are getting in prior post, will break your system.

Your system seems to be working now. I believe this because you are able
to post messages and read messages on this list. So, what is it about your
system that you want to change and why? I detect a lot of faulty 'knowledge'
in you post. Read the doc.s. In particular read man pages to learn why you
need both update and upgrade. Do not rely on /etc/debian_version to tell you
what version of debian you are running. It is a user controlled file. Once
it is installed in the initial install, it is not changed by the apt-get
system.

If your sources.list points to sarge or stable, you are running the current
stable, which is sarge. The r-number in the version is not really important
to the user of a functioning stable system. You get the latest version of
whatever package you want by downloading from a repository on the web. The
r-number tells you what revision level a debian CD was written at. If you
have web access, which I think you do, you stop using your install CDs as
soon as you have functioning web access.

Are you now running stable or testing or what? This matters as to what advice
you should be given, and it's not clear which you are running, although I
suspect you are running stable, because r-numbers are not assigned to testing
or unstable.

Next, what do you want to be running? Why do you want to change?
Giving good advice requires that one knows what you want. From what
I've read so far, your desire for change is driven only by a
misunderstanding of what the r-number means.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net